 MSH> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:43:03AM -0600, Jay Kline wrote:
 >> This is not entirely true.  Redhat very frequently packages software the
 >> is not ready to go out, and they send it to production systems (I think
 >> many people will remember the whole gcc thing a while back). The

 MSH> Please give precise examples, I've never had a problem like this, and I
 MSH> never had a problem with the "broken gcc".

I don't remember exactly which version of RedHat (either 6.0 or 7.0) where
RedHat decided to take a snapshot of the 3.0 development tree of gcc and
use that as their gcc compiler.  This caused all kinds of grief for
developers because the compiler wasn't fully tested and had new features
that broke some old things.  Most notably the kernel.  So if you wanted to
compile a kernel you needed to install another package called kcc, which
was actually a stable version of gcc (which should've been used in the
first place), and then modify the Makefile to use kcc as the compiler
instead of gcc.  About this point in time I decided I wasn't going back to
RedHat for my personal machines.  Work machines are still another story,
although I'm going to have to come up with a solution soon now.

Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe | jpschewe at mtu.net