On Tue, 27 May 2003 04:13:19 -0500
Justin Haaheim <jhaahei2 at gac.edu> wrote:

> If I'm not mistaken, the idea of giving out the cd's is to attract
> people to linux.  I'm not sure that having a weeding agent helps our
> cause.  Sure, a redhat system and a slack system and a gentoo system
> are all fundamentally similar -- they're all linux.  But installing
> gentoo took me days and installing redhat took me 45 minutes.  If the
> people we're giving these cd's to are well-versed and interested in
> spending the time on a debian or gentoo install, then fine, but then I
> don't think those kind of people would immediately associate linux
> with redhat.  Keep in mind, there's a difference between associating
> linux with redhat and associating easy-and-transparent-linux with
> redhat.

But then we're right back at the point of saying "let's hand out other distro's as well instead of ONLY RedHat."  The point of the original email in reply to this announcement was to state the opinion that other distros should be handed out as well, not just RedHat.  Which I think is entirely fair.

By having multiple distros there to be handed out, it shows the versatility of each distro and Linux itself.  Personally, if I was there and had the option of snagging a new distro which I hadn't tried, I would.  Yes, I know Linux.  But, it's not "only" suits that go to these Expos.  On top of that, some "suits" have a very good understanding of what's going on and what Linux is.

Getting back to the original e-mail awhile ago...  Why not make some copies of other distros to hand out as well?  Don't have to make as many as the RH cd's, but I do think other distros deserve to be handed out as well.

I'm sick of the "Oh, I installed Linux 7.2 (or enter latest RH version)" statement personally.  Then I go into my tirade about how RH does not equal "Linux" on the person who said it.

--
Shawn

The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.
-M. Twain