On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 08:04:47PM -0600, Perry Hoekstra wrote:
> I have a question.  I have an older Sony Muliscan 20se.  Just recently,
> the screen has started to flicker heavily.  I can shut off the monitor
> and turn it on which will resolve the issue for about five minutes.  Now
> this only occurs under X (The video card is a Matrox G450 with RedHat
> 8.0/KDE).  If I am at a basic terminal then there is no flicker, nor
> under Windows 2000 (for when I have to dual-boot in order to do that
> Office thang).  Is X just pushing my old monitor more than the other
> two?

I have a G450 and Hitachi 19" combo. I've had problems like that before
running at 1600x1200 where I could only get X to run it in 88Hz, but
windows would happily run in the same resolution at 90Hz. Initially this
gave me no problems, but suddenly the OSD would stop working when I was
in X, to the point that it didn't work until I rebooted and went into
windows. Then it would work for a while (in X) and it happened all over
again. I had the monitor serviced as COMPUSSR wouldn't take it back after
14 days (long story short, compussr was the only place I could get the
specific monitor I wanted at) of use. Took them forever to get it back to
me, but it worked fine until about 3 months ago. Now it's starting to
flicker when I turn it on (so bad I sometimes have to slap it to make it
go away), and it's a real PITA. I have a feeling the reason why everything
worked in Windows back then was because of the driver supplied by Hitachi.

I wonder if someone could actually use the manufactor supplied monitor
information file (for windows) to create an X config that really reflects
the monitor's capabilities. Could be an interesting project.