I've been trying to do this on my network myself for awhile.  You can do
it in Nautilus (on the Gnome side) by putting "samba:///" in the address
field.  I've been able to browse networks that way but when I try to
actually connect to a share it always says my password is bad.  I'm not
sure if this is a bug that's fixed in a newer Nautilus or something
having to do with encrypted vs plain passwords.

Brady