On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 13:20, waynej at dccmn.com wrote:
> Actually, I've been looking to write an OpenSource replacement of Ghost
> using a diskette or CD based Distro.  Boot Linux, format (either FAT or
> Ext[23]), write a boot record and load the hard drive with your system
> image from a CD or over the network.  Even do multi-cast.  We've got a
> rack of 1-up PC's here that we use to test with.  Kind of neat loading 40
> PCs with one download...
>
> There are several projects on SourceForge that talk about this, but most
> are vaporware yet.
>
> I looked at several diskette distros but they were all older kernels.  At
> some point I would like to add support for NTFS (whenever the kernel folks
> get it stable) so having a process to create the distro from the current
> RH (my preference, flames >/dev/null) is more important than the software
> itself.

I've used Trinux (http://trinux.sourceforge.net/) and I've been very
happy with it.  It has a nice 50M iso for pocket sized cds that has
worked wonders for me.  2.4.19 kernel, with FAT/NTFS support.  It's
saved my pathetic Win2k Server from hard drive crashes 3 times now
(don't ask).  And I love that it boots to a command line and not some
strange menu driven system.

I've often wished it had cdrtools to do a mkisofs and cdrecord to back
up a system, but the development on the project has been rather slow.
I've debated trying to do it myself, but thats more time than I have
available at the moment, not to mention a bit out of my league.  I don't
think I'd want to go to the point that I could "ghost" a drive, but at
least back up some files to CDs.

I'm probably going to show more of my newb colors than I would like
here, but couldn't you just "dd -if /dev/hd?? -of /hd??-dumped" a CD/DVD
worth at a time, and burn the file to CD/DVD?  Granted you're not
getting any fancy compression or anything (not that you probably
couldn't gzip it), but shouldn't dd work regardless of the file system
on the drive?  And if so, what's so great about ghost then?

--
Chris Frederick <cdf123 at cdf123.com>