>  >     What's wrong with just taking Knoppix, stripping out everything
> you don't want, put in what you do want, slapping your own label on it,
> and calling it golden? Klaus Knopper has done a wonderful job with all
> the hardware detection and running from RAM issues, so why not build off
>  the shoulders of giants, rather than work from the ground up?
>  >     :Peter

Why climb Mount Everest.  Why sail across the Pacific in a 7 foot sail
boat, why build your own CD based Distro? Because you can say you did it!
:{)>

Actually, I've been looking to write an OpenSource replacement of Ghost
using a diskette or CD based Distro.  Boot Linux, format (either FAT or
Ext[23]), write a boot record and load the hard drive with your system
image from a CD or over the network.  Even do multi-cast.  We've got a
rack of 1-up PC's here that we use to test with.  Kind of neat loading 40
PCs with one download...

There are several projects on SourceForge that talk about this, but most
are vaporware yet.

I looked at several diskette distros but they were all older kernels.  At
some point I would like to add support for NTFS (whenever the kernel folks
get it stable) so having a process to create the distro from the current
RH (my preference, flames >/dev/null) is more important than the software
itself.