>     What's wrong with just taking Knoppix, stripping out everything
you don't
 > want, put in what you do want, slapping your own label on it, and
calling it
 > golden? Klaus Knopper has done a wonderful job with all the hardware
 > detection and running from RAM issues, so why not build off the
shoulders of
 > giants, rather than work from the ground up?

I'm doing this as much more of a heuristic venture than anything
practical.  I'd like to know more about linux, and it seems like an
interesting project.  Also, Knoppix is pretty complicated (using
compression and such); more than I'd be able to delve into without some
serious mentorship.

justin

Peter Clark wrote:

 > On Monday 10 March 2003 02:50 pm, Justin Haaheim wrote:
 >
 >> I'm interested in creating my own Knoppix-like, minimalistic and
 >> initially very simple Live (to be run from a cd) linux distro.  My idea
 >> was to use Debian as the base system.  I'm more familiar with RedHat,
 >> but I'd imagine that there's some copyright infringement problems if I
 >> modify redhat and call it my own.
 >

 >     Well, it's been a couple of years since I've touched The Horror
That Must Not Be Named, but last I checked, most of RH is Free software,
so all you would have to do is remove anything that is under their
copyright and remove all instances of "Red Hat" from any files.