Jim Crumley wrote:
> For completeness let me mention what my final solution to this
> problem was.  I reinstalled from the recovery partition, but then
> I stopped the recovery process before its final step, which is to
> convert from fat32 to ntfs file systems.
>
> Scot, how did you dd your recovery partition?  At least on my
> machine the recovery partition doesn't show up in the partition
> table - its just listed as free space.  Did you recovery
> partition show up in the partition table? Or is there  some way to
> get dd to look at part of a drive without referencing a
> partition?

This is how the drive looked from the factory:

hda1 is Windows XP Pro.  First boot of the computer when new is a FAT32
partition.  On next bootup, system automatically converts FAT32 to NTFS
*WITHOUT* prompting you.  You don't have a choice about it.

hda2 is the hidden recovery partition that works with F11 key.  The idea
is that the entire "factory image" is stored on a hidden partition.  You
boot the computer and press F11 when prompted and it puts back the
original factory image of Windows XP in /dev/hda1.

I've read that the MBR has something to do with the F11 key and that you
shouldn't touch the MBR if you ever intend to use the recovery image.

Disk /dev/hda: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 2584 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1      2441  18453928+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2          2442      2584   1081080   1c  Hidden Win95 FAT32 (LBA)

I copied the entire partition in case I ever want to put winxp back on
the machine the way it came from the factory.

# save the recovery partition as it exists on disk
dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/nfs_server/path/hda2.img

# to view what's contained in the image from a linux system:
mount -t vfat -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 ./hda2.img /mnt/cdrom

# also save the MBR since that has something to do with the F11 key
dd if=/dev/hda of=/nfs_server/path/hda-mbr.img bs=512 count=1

------
Notes:

source: http://www.coelacanth.com/~nick/t23/index.html#part

If the recovery partition is to be kept, it is necessary that THE
MASTER BOOT RECORD (MBR) NOT BE TOUCHED in the installation. IBM has
specific boot bits here such that F11 can be pressed at startup to boot
to /dev/hda2 (Recovery Partition). Without these bits in the MBR,
factory recovery will not be functional, period.

--
scot