On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 01:43:33PM -0500, Scot Jenkins wrote:
> Jim Crumley wrote:
> > No I haven't, but from what I read the recovery partition will only
> > put the system back into its original configuration - therby
> > demolishing the Linux partions.
>
> you're correct, that's exactly what it does.  To free up additional
> space, I booted a minimal linux, then dd'd the recovery partition to my
> nfs server for backup.  That gave me an extra 1G of disk space on my
> T23.  I ended up with win2k (fat32 so linux can read/write to it) and a
> couple linux distros on my system, triple boot.

For completeness let me mention what my final solution to this
problem was.  I reinstalled from the recovery partition, but then
I stopped the recovery process before its final step, which is to
convert from fat32 to ntfs file systems.

Scot, how did you dd your recovery partition?  At least on my
machine the recovery partition doesn't show up in the partition
table - its just listed as free space.  Did you recovery
partition show up in the partition table? Or is there  some way to
get dd to look at part of a drive without referencing a
partition?