On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 02:02:56AM -0500, Scot Jenkins wrote:
> Jim Crumley wrote:
> > Scot, how did you dd your recovery partition?  At least on my
> > machine the recovery partition doesn't show up in the partition
> > table - its just listed as free space.  Did you recovery
> > partition show up in the partition table? Or is there  some way to
> > get dd to look at part of a drive without referencing a
> > partition?
>
> I've read that the MBR has something to do with the F11 key and that you
> shouldn't touch the MBR if you ever intend to use the recovery image.
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 2584 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes
>
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1   *         1      2441  18453928+   7  HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/hda2          2442      2584   1081080   1c  Hidden Win95 FAT32 (LBA)

Well, things have definitely changed for the R40.  The hidden
partition boots by pressing the "Access IBM" button, instead of
F11.  My hidden partition is bigger and doesn't show up on the
partition table from cfdisk:

Name            Flags           Part Type       FS Type   Size (MB)
hda1            Boot            Primary         NTFS        36841.52
                                                Free Space   3166.25

So I still don't know how to access the hidden partition.  I let
grub take over the MBR, but as far as I can tell the IBM recovery
software still works - I went up to the point where it would
actually blow away my partitions.