Got a problem, I got a problem with my laptop (Compaq Presario 2700).
After booting up the machine, the hard drive gets accessed for the boot
loader, and the processor fan kicks into extreme overdrive, and cuts the
CPU power down by at least half.  It only happens after hard drive
access, booted into the bios menu for many minutes with no problems.
I've searched for it on the Compaq/HP site and they recommend loading
the bios update or clearing the CMOS, a temp fix was to go into the bios
on each boot and load the setup defaults.  Also of note, the bios update
and the cleared CMOS were not confirmed to have fixed the problem.  So
here's my 3 options.

1.  At every boot, go into the bios, load the default settings, exit and
save.
2.  The Compaq bios update comes as a Compaq update file for the Compaq
update service (installed from the Compaq CD).
3.  Open up the laptop and find the jumper for the CMOS reset, if there
is one, or take out the CMOS battery.  Possibly breaking something, and
possibly not fixing the problem.
4.  Backup the laptop, and reload WinXP to update the bios, then reload
Linux once it's fixed.

Anyone ever have this problem?  Can i fix it without taring the laptop
apart, or loading Windows?  Would anyone here trust the wine project to
update the bios?  Is there something in the kernel acpi that could
control the fan and slow it down?  Is there a "Linux way" to update
bios' or firmwares?  I'm also planning on updating the hard drive soon,
could a new hard drive fix it since it seems to be semi-hard drive
related?

Thanks all.
--
Chris Frederick <cdf123 at cdf123.com>