On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 22:57, Peter Clark wrote:
> 	The second issue is that I also have one of those USB flash drives. If the CF
> reader has already been mounted and unmounted, then try to mount the flash
> drive (as sda1), it says that it's not a valid block device. Doing things the
> manual way, it sometimes is under /dev/sdb1, sometimes under /sdc1, etc. And
> once I find out what device it is under, mount it, then unmount it, I have no
> luck remounting the CF reader (I tried up to /sdh1 with no luck). Since I
> always connect these two devices to the same port, is there some way to force
> their device to _always_ be sda1?

I don't think so.  USB doesn't really keep close track from what I can
tell.  It might be possible to do some special scripting through the
hotplug or usbmgr system on your computer, but I'll mention another
option:  You can use the mount-by-label and mount-by-uuid support in
mount to do just about what you're looking for.

You can do things like `mount -L <LABEL> /mnt/point' or `mount -U <UUID>
/mnt/point', or use LABEL=<LABEL> or UUID=<UUID> in the first field in
/etc/fstab.

Of course, it depends on what filesystem you're using.  If you use
ext2/3, use the `e2label' utility to set the label.  I'm not sure what
utility should be used to check an ext2/3 filesystem UUID, though.

For DOS/Windows FAT and VFAT filesystems, I made a patch to mount last
month that seems to work for me, but support most likely is not in your
distribution's version of mount.  I'll have to get around to sending my
patch to one of mount's authors...

Some links:
http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2003-May/056454.html
http://bugs.debian.org/124010

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   The BFI is after me!