On Sat, 2003-07-19 at 15:21, Ryan Oertel wrote:
> For now, I was going to use my main computer for recording, compression
> and storage of the video, and playback on the 'slow' one.

Well, even playing back video will be a scary experience on that box.
You might be able to get something to play if you use a very low capture
resolution on the main computer.  Also, at least for MythTV, it might
work better to use the RTJPEG codec instead of the MPEG4 one..  I
imagine decoding would be easier in the first format..

> One side question: how easily does the setup work with DirecTV?  Can the
> computer remote-control the DTV receiver?  How easy is the user
> interface for watching/pausing/recording TV?

There are infrared transmitters available that you can plug into a
serial port to send the correct codes to the receiver to change
channels.  I've also heard that some cable/satellite boxes have serial
ports on them for this, but I don't know if anyone knows how to use them
(the thought has also occurred to me that this is a reason why there's a
USB port on the digital cable boxes that Time Warner uses, but I don't
know for sure)

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   #define ENONSEQUETOR /* C
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   Program not derived from