On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 08:20:40AM -0500, Mike Hicks wrote:

> Er, well, I was referring to the difficulty of demodulating digital
> transmissions in 8VSB, QAM64, QAM128, etc., which is an entirely
> different problem.

Ah, well nobody does that in software (yet), the DVB cards just provide
you with a multi-channel MPEG-2 stream, you grab the channel you want
from that stream and discard the rest (or do PiP/recording/whatever)

> If MPEG2 decoding has gotten so good, I'm pretty amazed -- one of the
> big reasons I had for upgrading to my 1.3GHz system (which was pretty
> top-of-the-line at the time) was because I couldn't adequately play
> movies on my 350 MHz AMD K6-2 (but it's entirely possible that the
> Pentium chip could outperform the my old AMD chip if floating-point
> decoding is used..)

K6-2 350 is adequate, I've done my testing with mplayer, the biggest
slowdown was having a video card that supported overlays and a few other
things. (I tossed a GeForce 2 PCI in there)