On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 14:50, Tom Penney wrote:
> # insmod streams
> Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-18.7/misc/streams.o
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-18.7/misc/streams.o: kernel-module version mismatch
>         /lib/modules/2.4.20-18.7/misc/streams.o was compiled for kernel
> version 2.4.20-18.7custom
>         while this kernel is version 2.4.20-18.7.

Take a look at the Makefile and pull the custom part. I think debian and
others add that when you grabe the kernel-source packages.

> I don't totally understand this because we did not rebuild the actual
> kernel did we? Only the dependencies right? So did make assume we were
> going to also be building and running a custom kernel?

Yes, but when you built streams, it looked at the depends you just made,
which were for a "different" version.

> I should probably remove and reinstall the kernel source rpm and start
> over to compile streams for the "non-custom" kernel. Does this sound
> like a reasonable plan?

I would first try to modify the makefile to match versions, and follow
the procedure again.  If you still run into issues, you may have better
luck with a custom kernel the whole way through. (compile a kernel, use
that source to build streams)

Jay