Hi Tom,

I think if you re-install the kernel source rpm you will be
fine.  After you un-install it, remove any residual that might remain
in /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-18.7.  And then after install,
don't touch it(no make mrproper,..).

All of those steps are for if you want to build a new kernel(And
it doesn't look like you need to do that.)  And then RedHat is trying
to help by appending -custom to the kernel label to differentiate it.
Sorry about the confusion.  You can change the -custom
in the Makefile.  You may also be able to use the force option
to tell modprobe to use that module you compiled anyway.

If you would have continued on to make bzImage, that would compile
you a kernel.  The "make oldconfig" step is this strange beast
that I am starting to understand better.  You can spend
a lot of time adjusting kernel build options(.config file).
When you get a newer set of kernel source, the older .config
is not valid anymore, but it can be upgraded by this make oldconfig.
And if finds no .config file, it optionally trys to
pull in the matching one from the defaults in configs/ dir(that
presumably match what you are running.)

If you want to learn more you can search on the redhat site, as they
really do have some excellent doc(that I should make a point to read
sometime :)