Munir Nassar writes:
> unlike 99.9 percent of the linux software that needs to be started at
> bootup. qmail is too good for regular init scripts and has to have
> its own crappy init scripts. but that is not all..

What are you talking about?  You can start qmail through init scripts just
like any other software.  Simply make /etc/init.d/qmail a symlink to
/var/qmail/rc and make sure rc has an & at the end.  This is how the FreeBSD
port sets it up.

Of course, the recommended way to run qmail and any other daemon is using a
daemon supervisor, such as daemontools.  daemon supervisors are much more
reliable than init scripts because they restart failed daemons and allow for
reliable signaling, something which is usually impossible with init scripts.

> because of a
> crappy licence i can´t just down and rpm or two, i would have to get
> rpms compile them and hope i have all the dependencies.

There are binary RPMs for qmail available.  See qmail.org for a list.

Gerrit Pape's qmail packages for Debian are excellent, and on FreeBSD it is
a simple "make install" using ports.

> hope? heh yeah, more like ¨good gawd, what do i have to down now?¨
> because it seems qmail it too good for most everything on my server.

That sentence makes absolutely no sense.  What are you talking about?

If you are referring to bad RPM dependencies, then blame the clueless people
who made the RPMs you were using.  qmail doesn't need anything besides libc.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/