On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, David Phillips wrote:

Everything is flawed in some way or another, this is a fact that runs true
in all computer programs.

As i am reading this review i noticed:
sendmail does this this this, BUT it has this big problem here, here and
here
exim like sendmail does this good thing but this and that bad thing
postfix claims it is very secure but it is not
smail like exim and sendmail that is: it sucks. oh yeah, it send mail to
root a big nono
zmailer not like sendmail and yet is like sendmail
MMDF not qmail
qmail, for qmail it did not list ONE deficiency... i find that hard to
believe. there has to be something...

my advice:
play with them all, i started out with sendmail 6 months and a server
upgrade later i moved to exim. exim was nice but i was using redhat at the
time so i did not want to maintain my own exim rpms so i moved to postfix
when i upgraded the server a year later.

Before i moved to postfix i played with qmail. here is my
experience:
unlike 99.9 percent of the linux software that needs to be started at
bootup. qmail is too good for regular init scripts and has to have its own
crappy init scripts. but that is not all..  because of a crappy licence i
can´t just down and rpm or two, i would have to get rpms compile them and
hope i have all the dependencies.

hope? heh yeah, more like ¨good gawd, what do i have to down now?¨ because
it seems qmail it too good for most everything on my server. so i figured
qmail is too good for my server, and used postfix. I have yet to be
disappointed.

i suggest we all send in our qmail stories good or bad, and let that be
the vote on weather or not qmail should or should not be mentioned here
again.

--
Munir Nassar
RedConcepts.NET