Thanks for the suggestions!

> From: "Matthew S. Hallacy" <poptix at techmonkeys.org>

> echo -n foo > /dev/lp0
>
> should work, the -n tells echo not to send a newline (\n)

> From: Kent Schumacher <kent at structural-wood.com>

> My guess is that you don't have the parallel port drivers loaded
> - do an lsmod
> to see.  If you do, try echo'ing to /dev/lp and /dev/lp1.
>
> You can probably poke around in /proc and figure out where your
> parallel port is.

Echo should indeed work. I thought echo alone would send
just a linefeed, which would work just fine. Trying the
command above (from Matthew) also hangs.

dmesg | grep lp     gives this:
lp0: using parport0 (polling).
lp0: console ready

And lsmod shows module lp is used by 0, so I think the
driver is installed and working.

I really don't want to look at the driver source.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Chris