On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 20:06, Chris Schumann wrote:
> Echo should indeed work. I thought echo alone would send
> just a linefeed, which would work just fine. Trying the
> command above (from Matthew) also hangs.

I think you were right to think that something should come down the ACK
line.  I tried echoing to my desktop's printer port that has nothing
attached, and it hung.  Echoing to the port on my print server box
caused the printer to spool up and spit out a page.

Then again, I've had situations where disconnecting a printer would
cause the bits to "dribble out"...  (I had to do that to get printers to
stop printing junk that was in the buffers)

I think it's possible to twiddle the bits on a parallel port without
worrying about ACKs, but it would involve programming.  I doubt the
homebuilt parallel-port TI-85 (or pretty much the whole 80-90+ line)
adapters had any ACK stuff in them.  I don't know if they ever worked in
Linux, but I did get one built and working in DOS several years ago.  (I
think I managed to single-handedly get two school districts hooked on
assembly-language games with that..)

Also, I've been trying to find a good reference to the good ol' parallel
port sound cards that were around for a while.  I don't know if they
handled ACKs or not..  Probably depended on the design..

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   A complaint about the
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   complaint box. Delicious.