> - more logging.  Event viewer is a good start but there are often times when
> there is still no event generated or worse no usefull information in the
> event when attempting fo troubleshoot what went wrong.  Having the ability to
> turn on more verbose logs under certain circumstances greatly improves my
> ability to troubleshoot Unix systems

Good call - AND

Meaningful logs (not a 10-digit hex code)
...that say something other than "ask your administrator"
...in a standard, consistent format (for parsing)
Option to log to event viewer AND/OR external host AND/OR a file
MS /kind of/ has facilities and levels - how about per-level config.  I
want everything to go to a flat file (that I can SMB mount and
File::Tail to parse), warnings, errors, and critical to go to an
external host for parsing/monitoring, and criticals to go to event
viewer (for instance).

I want my monitoring system to be able to generate an alarm based on log
entries.  Event viewer is almost sufficient for troubleshooting
day-to-day problems, but by god, I want something to page me when a disk
is full, or a RAID volume is degraded.  I shouldn't have to read Event
Viewer on every box, every few hours, looking for problems.