(cc'd to TCLUG)

I'd second all that Ken said and add the following:

- Scriptablity.  I'm aware of (and do use) the Windows Scripting stuff, but
inorder to use it I have to dig through piles of DLL documentation to get
anything done

- command line based text search tools like grep, sed and awk

- file formats should be in text (XML) whenever possible so things can be
fixed easily without special tools

- more logging.  Event viewer is a good start but there are often times when
there is still no event generated or worse no usefull information in the
event when attempting fo troubleshoot what went wrong.  Having the ability to
turn on more verbose logs under certain circumstances greatly improves my
ability to troubleshoot Unix systems

- I understand your desire to keep your source code closed, just please keep
the protocols and interfaces open as Kent mentioned.  Going out of your way
to break existing protocols and not document new ones makes my job harder and
wastes my time when trying to get something done or fixed for a customer, no
matter which operating system they use

- Not entirely germain to your request, but its been bugging me: Driver
downloads for all hardware products.  Customers lose CDs.  Every other
hardware vendor on the planet is allows you to download their drivers.  It
makes it very difficult to recover a clients computer if they've lost the
CDs.  My customers shouldn't need to wait a couple days while I order new
ones (or try to find someone to borrow the CD from)

Lastly, I'd be happy to fill out your survey.

On Friday 19 December 2003 08:45 am, Kent Schumacher wrote:
> Here is what I want from Microsoft:
>
> - Open and fully document your protocols
> - If a functioning standard exists for something you want to do, use it
> - Fully document your file formats - commit to not making gratuitous
> changes
>
> In other words, make Microsoft the best team player.  Presumably you
> know how Microsoft is perceived today, so I won't go overtly negative
> in this e-mail.
>
> Thanks for asking,
> Kent
>
> Clay Fandre wrote:
> > This is interesting...

> > Subject:
> > posting to Linux mail list
> > From:
> > "Michael Surkan" <msurkan at windows.microsoft.com>
> > Date:
> > Fri, 19 Dec 2003 00:16:52 -0800
> > To:
> > <tclug-list-owner at mn-linux.org>
> >

> > I am a program manager in the Microsoft networking group, doing some
> > research around how we can improve our operating systems. My goal is to
> > help us identify capabilities, improvements, and features that Microsoft
> > should be focusing on to help our customers over the next 5 years or so.
> > I am particularly interested in hearing from Linux users, and get their
> > input about what they feel should be priorities.
> >

> > I was wondering if you would mind if I posted a message on your Linux
> > mailing list (tclug-list at mn-linux.org) asking for feedback? I want to
> > ask for people to e-mail me directly if they would be interested in
> > taking an on-line survey I have put together (sorry, I don?t want to
> > post the survey URL directly to the public).
> >

> > If you don't feel this is an appropriate use of your list, that's fine.
> > Of course, I am always eager to hear your thoughts if you wanted to
> > share them. :-)
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Michael Surkan
> >

> > P.S. If it?s ok for me to post to your distribution list, what is the
> > best way I should do that? Is there an e-mail address you recommend I
> > use?

Ben Maas - Technology Architect
Open Technology Systems, LLC
eMail: bmaas at open-techsys.com