Ryan Hayle said:
> Is anyone affiliated with or heard of this organization?  It sounds like
>  an absolutely great program, but it has an obvious problem: "Microsoft
> Authorized Refurbisher."  Linux is the best choice for any school
> computer lab--I just hate to see our funding-starved schools wasting
> money on MS licenses.  MCFS offers a 32-seat PIII Computer Lab for
> $8700.  Imagine what percentage of that is MS licenses!  Must be 20% at
> least!

Actually, MS is giving Win98 away to schools, at least for now.

> Anyways, I thought I would see if this topic has ever been brought up
> before, either with this organization or as an independent project.
> Setting up Linux labs for schools has been a big interest of
> mine--especially setting up Linux Terminal Server labs on old
> hardware--this alone could save schools thousands, or at the very least
> allow them to open additional labs or provide a terminal in every class.

Our school uses both Windows and Linux.  Windows as destops and Linux for
servers.  Most of the software used by the classes will only run on
Windows.  Things like typing tutor, Office, Adobe Photoshop, etc.
Realistically, Linux is still developing in the desktop relm.  Yea, there
are those that think it's capable of doing anything, but a school desktop
is a lot more than just a web browser.  Any school that limits it to that
is wasting the tax payers money.  HCA will be offering a dynamic web class
this spring with Apache, PHP and MySql.

Please save your flames and insults for someone who'll read them.