Thanks for the complement but I'm no "Linux adept",  I'm sure many could
attest to that  ;-)

Clean drive no other OS on it.

I put the CD in the drive and booted in to the installation.  I stepped
through the questions, told it what I wanted to install and only made
one mistake, booting to an X Windows login.  I didn't want to do that
but was able to fix it with some help from LUG'rs. It was my own fault
for clicking the mouse to fast.

This is my advice to people who want to experiment with any OS's.
Get a PC that has easy hardware configuration. Learn to install hard
disk drives, then get 4 hard disk drives.  Put what ever OS you "want"
to have on each drive independently and label it as such with the
following information.
OS, Version, Date & Time, and a Yes or No to the question "Is data
stored on the drive" if "Yes"  it needs to be backed up before it's
swapped from the system.  This may sound expensive,  it really isn't
when you think of the lost data and time it takes to recover from one
little mistake (see above).

I'm a huge fan of old, high end servers, for home use. I have a Compaq
Proliant 2500 with 5 - 4 gig disks in it in a Raid 5 configuration
running W2K/sp4. This machine holds data for every day use, archive and
printing. Using Samba from Linux to access drives on this machine took a
little education but I now have shell scripts to do the mounts for me.
This way I can have the PC's as a play ground and not loose data. I have
no real data on any PC for more then the time it takes to copy it to my
server.

Some day I'll have a NIX  box controlling the heating and cooling of my
house and one for the future cabin.

Sam.