Todd
Is there any empirical evidence that a requirement of accountability
is either harmful or unfair?  A mandatory log-in/log-out would do well
 to solve both the security/control issues and further the exposure of
the students to what will be expected of them in the post-educational
(for most of us, the "real") world.  Non-compliance could be easily
tracked, and would simply result in a metered limit of access.  Is this
simple bit of logic beyond our current state of educational politics?

(naively?)
Bill