If I remember correctly, your WWW directory and all subdirectories and
files should be chmod 755 (rwxr-xr-x), I've changed ownership of the
/var/www directory from root.root to joeblow.joeblow (or whatever your
user name is).

So let's see, the commands would be, as root:
chmod -R 755 /var/www
chown joeblow.joeblow /var/www

List members...please correct me if I'm wrong.

Todd Young