Todd Young <auditodd at comcast.net> writes:

> If I remember correctly, your WWW directory and all subdirectories and
> files should be chmod 755 (rwxr-xr-x), I've changed ownership of the
> /var/www directory from root.root to joeblow.joeblow (or whatever your
> user name is).

Mine is chmod 2775 owner root.wheel, mostly (except a lot of the
directories in it are owned by different users, and most are in group
wwwadmin).  Works fine, has for years.

Except that it has to be readable by the web server, I'm not aware of
any stringent requirements on the protection or ownership of web
directories.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <dd-b at dd-b.net>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
Photos: <dd-b.lighthunters.net>  Snapshots: <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>