On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 01:48:25PM -0500, Scot Jenkins wrote:
> and it just worked.  I'm almost certain a current Slackware (7.x and up)
> would have not trouble seeing the Promise PCI controller.

I've also had 0 problems with promise PCI IDE controllers, and they're well
supported under linux.

> I think you can buy these cards retail for about $20-25 at Microcenter,
> but check http://www.pricewatch.com/ or other online pricing sites before
> buying.

Best Buy has them as well, last i checked.

> If you plan to put more then 4 drives in your server or you want RAID
> capability, which you probably will with the bigger hard drives today,
> you should investigate IDE RAID controllers.  I can't speak to them but
> I think others on the list have experience with them.

Unfortunately, it's been nothing but bad experiences with the promise RAID
controllers. Personally I prefer software RAID since you're not sitting
at the POST screen waiting for it to rebuild. The performance is comparable
with a cheap IDE RAID controller as well, with more support.