B_o_B wrote:
> Saturday, August 30, 2003   @   10:52:36 AM Central Standard Time
> Hi.  Can anyone recommend an ATA133 controller (pci) card that is
> friendly with Slackware.

I have a Promise PCI ATA 133 IDE controller card that came with a Maxtor
80G IDE 7200 rpm drive.  It's installed in a Cyrix P5 class (233 Mhz)
box and runs great with an older highly customized nameless Linux distro
(it was RH before I got to it...)  Nothing special to setting it up.
Just plugged in the PCI card, made sure kernel had PCI and IDE support
and it just worked.  I'm almost certain a current Slackware (7.x and up)
would have not trouble seeing the Promise PCI controller.

I think you can buy these cards retail for about $20-25 at Microcenter,
but check http://www.pricewatch.com/ or other online pricing sites before
buying.

If you plan to put more then 4 drives in your server or you want RAID
capability, which you probably will with the bigger hard drives today,
you should investigate IDE RAID controllers.  I can't speak to them but
I think others on the list have experience with them.

I know if I had to do it over, I'd probably just get a RAID-5 NAS
(Network Attached Storage) unit with hot swap drives.  A nice little 1U
"black box" with a huge amount of RAID-5 disk that requires minimal
administration.  Plug in the power and network cables and NFS mount off
of it.  Done.  Beware of the Windows based NAS units though.  They're
only UNIX friendly to a point, eg you can't create device files on them
and possibly other restrictions.

> To make a long story short, the card simply labeled "Made in Chi-Wan"
> became an Unidentified Flying Object aka UFO (through the winter skies of
> North-East Minneapolis),

Seriously, I hope you disposed of it properly, in an environmentally
safe way.  Keep in mind we drink the water that comes from the ground
around here...

> Now my fleet consist's of all Linux servers
> (mostly Slack, 1 Debian, & 1 FreeBSD - if that counts).

yes, FreeBSD counts, it's UNIX too, a different breed, but still UNIX.

> I (on hand and knee, doing my best Captain Kirk impression)
> Plead to the Jedi's of the Linux ways, to please help
> recommend an ata133 pci (or even just a friendly chipset)

this Jedi has spoken...
May The Force [and source] be with you, always...
--
scot