Saturday, August 30, 2003   @   10:52:36 AM Central Standard Time

Hi.  Can anyone recommend an ATA133 controller (pci) card that is
friendly with Slackware.

I have an old HP Pent 200 w/64M of "Core" I would like to make into a
Bad Ass File Server(more commonly referred to as "BAFS")using Slackware.
I have(had I should really say) a couple El-Cheap-O ata133 cards I have
tried.  Mission Failure with each one.  One came in a box simply
labelled "Made in Chi-Wan", that I scored at a swap meat/junk show for
$15.00USD.  This one failed with Slack.  I used it in a M$ box
for awhile.  One evening the card failed in the M$ box, data was lost,
and I was sent into (music please...DA...da...DA...da...)
"COMPUTER RAGE!!!!  Ahhhhhhhhh"(foaming
@ the mouth now...shaking violently).  To make a long story
short, the card simply labeled "Made in Chi-Wan" became an
Unidentified Flying Object aka UFO (through the winter skies of
North-East Minneapolis),
and now no longer I/O's among the Land of the Living.
Please refer to
your local libraries Microfiche Department to see articles regarding
the UFO incident, number of sighting, Po-Leece Department reports,
etc...Feb 2003)
The other card I purchased for $19.99USD (I gave them the remaining
penny as a token of my gratitude) @ a place that has since gone out
of business named "Computer Cheap-O".  I could not get it to work
with Slack.  It now resides in the M$ box mentioned earlier.  After my
first interview for the ata133-pci position I had available, I
mentioned the fate my last card.
The El Cheap-O's lip began to shake slightly as I locked the door &
grabbed my hand axe.  "I often use this hatchet for hacking out
problems with software & or hardware that cause problems, or become
uncooperative with others" I explained to the card swinging & flip &
tossing & catching the
axe in ways that would make any martial arts master envious.
After a cool stare down (the poor computer cheap-o's lip still twitching), a
large - slowly welling-up, flowing tear, began to drip down the left cheek of the
card.   I handed Computer Cheap-O ata133 pci my pen.  ATA133 was visibly shaking, the
contract was signed, and it has been I/Oing for me happily now for a
few months.

I understand that the mention of "M$" probably piss's a lot of you off.  I
know.  Please, let me explain.  About two - three years ago, I had around 8 - 12 servers
running (all NT or 2K).  Now my fleet consist's of all Linux servers
(mostly Slack, 1 Debian, & 1 FreeBSD - if that counts).  Their is only
1 box left running 2K.  As soon as I can get an ata133 card that I can config
to use with Slack, and a grip of new BAMF-IDE Hard Drives, I will be
able to remove M$ entirely from my world.  Free at last.  Save your
Drama for your Mama.

I (on hand and knee, doing my best Captain Kirk impression)
Plead to the Jedi's of the Linux ways, to please help
recommend an ata133 pci (or even just a friendly chipset)
 card I can use with Slack (or any other
distro, I don't care, I am open to checking them all, but slack will
always be the one I love the most) To build a BAFS (lvm in
full-effect) of extra ordinary magnitude, to help remove the
evil one, the wicked M$-2()()() server, that resides within
my happy-friendly Ghetto_Net-Style (more commonly
referred to as GNS technology((RFC # still pending)))
LAN (Little Ass Network).

You all have my Gratitude.

Bowing, I take 3 steps back, about face, and march out the door.

Robert (aka B_o_B) David Felix De Mars
West Longitude 90' 15' 43"
http://b-o-b.homelinux.com
mailto:chewbaka at toughguy.net