Just as a side note, I've had very good luck with 3ware EIDE raid
controllers.  Also, the one time I've had a drive fail (so far), after I
stuck in the new drive the system booted completely while it was doing the
rebuild.  The system was obviously slower than normal until the rebuild
was done, but it was up and running.

My experience with the Promise eide raid controllers hasn't been nearly as
good, nor my experience with software raid, although I admittedly haven't
tried software raid under linux recently (not since the later 2.2
kernels).

Jeff