On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 12:25:44PM -0500, Austad, Jay wrote:
> For example, m-icecast24 would tell me that it's icecast server number
> 24 in the minneapolis data center.

CNAME's are good for this.  Personally, I'd start looking up Inuit words
for snow[1,2].  Yes, some names are hoaxes[3], but it's a nice name
list.  Either way, using multiple CNAME or even multiple A records are
not out of the question.

Which one is going to be more memorable for you?  SSH'ing in to
m-icecast24 or qanuk.  Whatever the answer is, the bottom line is that
it doesn't matter.  Give each server a unique name along the theme's
route, then CNAME services to them.  For example:

  # Pardon any errors in this example format
  qanuk         IN      A               192.168.1.24
                IN      TXT             "Yup'ik for snowflake"
                IN      TXT             "Dual AMD Debian GNU/Linux 3.0"
  m-icecast24   IN      CNAME           qanuk

Now, you can ssh into either, but you can still have a little fun doing
it.