Chad Walstrom writes:
> CNAME's are good for this.  Personally, I'd start looking up Inuit
> words for snow[1,2].  Yes, some names are hoaxes[3], but it's a nice
> name list.  Either way, using multiple CNAME or even multiple A
> records are not out of the question.

CNAMEs are generally a bad idea.  In most cases, they force an extra DNS
query, which increases latency and makes both the resolver and content
server do more work.

Another problem is that a CNAME cannot exist for a name if there are any
other records for that name, regardless of the type.  This means you can't
have both a CNAME and an MX record for a name.  CNAMEs should never be used
with mail:

http://cr.yp.to/im/cname.html

If at all possible, use multiple A records instead of CNAMEs.  This is easy
to do with good DNS software.  The tinydns data format makes it easy to
replace names with IP addresses using standard UNIX tools when the database
is generated.  MyDNS has native support for server side aliases.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/