From: Tony Kelleran [mailto:kiler0n at ags-us.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 8:13 AM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] Server naming conventions

As much as I want to name my servers something unique and cool, I tend to
stick with what David is saying.

Typically, I prefer using the airport code of the city the server is in +
function specifier (i.e., A = Application, W = Web, M = Mail, etc) + number.

I know, the majority of you are probably cringing with such a "corporate"
naming convention.  But ultimately, naming conventions should be a
documented best practices within your organization.

Now naming my personal servers at home is another story.  Since I only have
a handful, this allows me artistic space to be creative with names.

Just my .02

Smith, Craig A (MN14) writes:
> At the north end of last Friday's beer meeting, there was a
> discussion about server naming conventions.  I opined the names of 7
> dwarfs works only until you get an 8th server.
> [...]

I'm curious as to why you'd need to arbitrarily make up a bunch of server
names.  I've always named servers after their function.  That practice has
been used everywhere I've worked.  When you have names like www, ns, backup,
db, mail, etc., followed by numbers, it is obvious what each box does.

It keeps you from saying ``fox is down again'', with people left asking ``is
that the mail server or the database server?''.  Now, if you're starting a
project and need a codename for it, you might pick a short name like
``ant'', and thus name the server that, but that's different than everyday
production servers.  People would still know what the server was if they
knew about the project.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/