Well, I'm in the same situation, I'm stuck with speakeasy iDSL (=144k
isdn line).  It's pricey ($90/month) but I've been on dialup for far too
long.  The TOS allows servers and the static ip comes standard.
websites and mailing lists should be ok at this speed depending on your
traffic volume.  You may want to tweak the sites a bit, speakeasy gives
10M free hosting, I'd upload the images to their server that way your
just sending ASCII through your 144k pipe rather than binary images that
could eat it up quick.  The iDSL is the only thing I've seen that can go
past the 15000ft DSL limit other than satellite (decent upload/download
speeds can get you a ~$600 install fee and a hefty monthly rate), and
you can occasionally get a free install deal from them.  My plan was to
stay on for the year and check for better/faster/cheaper services then,
so far nothing.  Hope this info helps

--
Chris Frederick <cdf123 at cdf123.com>