> this isn't entirely correct.  route-bridged encapsulation (RBE)
> enables a service provider to do "half-bridging" on a PVC without
> requiring that they burn up a /30 in order to terminate a subscriber

This is true, but at the time we were running on the 3810 (I would imagine
most Qwest DSL ISP's were too), and RBE was (is?) only available on the
7200 and 6400 series.  VISI had the luxury of justifying an ATM-DS3
immediately, so they didn't have to go through the 3810 pains that the
rest of us had ;)

Good to hear from you again Steve - I trust Cisco is doing well for you.