when last we saw our hero (Saturday, Apr 19, 2003),
 Adam Maloney was madly tapping out:
> > this isn't entirely correct.  route-bridged encapsulation (RBE)
> > enables a service provider to do "half-bridging" on a PVC without
> > requiring that they burn up a /30 in order to terminate a subscriber
>
> This is true, but at the time we were running on the 3810 (I would
> imagine most Qwest DSL ISP's were too), and RBE was (is?) only
> available on the 7200 and 6400 series.  VISI had the luxury of
> justifying an ATM-DS3 immediately, so they didn't have to go through
> the 3810 pains that the rest of us had ;)

last i heard this functionality had been ported to the low end
platforms as well, this is pretty old functionality.  it may not be
CEF switched but the baseline functionality should be there.  rbe was
developed specifically to address the issues of small ISPs with
bridged deployments, since it doesn't require touching the customers
configuration to move them off of it.  though, why anyone would
actually choose a bridged mode of operation is beyond me.  there are
simply too many downsides.

i have to think that if the platform supports ppp termination and LNS
functionality that there should be support for rbe.

> Good to hear from you again Steve - I trust Cisco is doing well for
> you.

heh, small world - i'm just taking care of business.

iirc - there are patches to freeswan to enable it to work over udp
transport.  if this isn't amenable, check to see if the isp in
questions supports pppoe and run a pppoe client on the gw device while
the pvc is configured in 1483 bridged mode.

i don't know if the pppoe implementation on linux presents a routable
interface that freeswan can use but it's another way to skin the cat.

{ snipped - misc .signatures }

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC