when last we saw our hero (Saturday, Apr 19, 2003),
 Adam Maloney was madly tapping out:
> Most ISP's won't do bridging anymore - it's less efficient with IP
> space, can cause split horizon issues, or will cause the broadcast
> traffic problem Bob mentioned.  Also, Qwest has been hinting for
> awhile now that they are going to do a push to get ISP's off of it.
>
> The only way of doing bridging mode that eliminated the split
> horizon and broadcast problems was to give each customer their own
> BVI, which means you are burning a minimum of 4 IP's per customer.
> Imagine an ISP with a thousand DSL customers applying for additional
> space from ARIN with 3000 wasted IP's...

this isn't entirely correct.  route-bridged encapsulation (RBE)
enables a service provider to do "half-bridging" on a PVC without
requiring that they burn up a /30 in order to terminate a subscriber
session.  this works for routed subnets as well as for single IP
customer (a /32 is routed down the PVC ala 'ip route 192.168.0.1
255.255.255.255 atm0/0.100').  this can be used with DHCP
option 82 to correctly push a /32 down the subscriber VC.

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC