Nick,

Since 'vfat' is the most mature (of 'NTFS' and
'vfat' filesystems) on Linux, I would go with that.

I think redhat might be 'telling' you that they can
only make 2 gig vfat partitions, but that might
not be true. I have a couple 10 gig partitions
shared between Linux and Windows, but I keep
the system stuff separated (w2k on ntfs (not
mounted under linux), linux stuff on ext3 (not
mounted under w2k), and shared stuff on vfat).

If you want to easily write stuff to the vfat
partitions as any user under Linux you will have
to play with the mount options (man mount).
Because of this, I would not make your '/home/'
partition a vfat filesystem. If you have just
one user and don't care that you have little in
way of file permissions available, you might try
it, but I think it would be bothersome.

My 2 cents, good luck with them!

Troy

>>> AIRPLANEIT at aol.com 04/11/03 09:56AM >>>
I'm curious to what extent all of you experts out there would go to in
order to maximize "portability" between Linux and Windows platforms. Would
you dare go as far as partitioning your /home partition to NTFS or vfat?
(and Red Hat's telling me vfat's only good for 2 gigs, but I have a drive
formated to 10 gigs?)

Basically, I want to keep my MP3's and documents in a place that both
Windows and Linux can access them. Also, if anyone out there is familiar
with Flightgear Flight Stimulator, I would like to keep the base packages
on a common drive, so I can run the Windows and Linux versions without
having to keep separate sets of files (which are identical except for the
binaries). I'm sure someone's managed to do this before, if not with
Flightgear, then perhaps with Quake or something. Is it wise to even try?
Is stability going to be an issue?

-Nick