> I'm curious to what extent all of you experts out there would
> go to in order to maximize "portability" between Linux and
> Windows platforms. Would you dare go as far as partitioning
> your /home partition to NTFS or vfat? (and Red Hat's telling
> me vfat's only good for 2 gigs, but I have a drive formated
> to 10 gigs?)

vfat is inefficient after 2GB.  Your probably using fat32 anyway.
I don't recall if vfat is for BOTH fat32 and fat16, but I think it's
just fat16.  Which shouldn't be used beyond 2GB...  Or just shouldn't be
used.

And as to formating your home NTFS, don't make me slap you.  NTFS isn't
supported completely in Linux.  Linux can read NTFS without a problem
(so I've heard), but the writing to it is still Beta code at best.  Bad
things happen.
If all you want is a seperate partition for your music etc. make a
seperate partition... for your music and whatnot.  Format it Fat32 and
you won't have a problem.  Unless your running NT4 and in that case I'd
have to bitch slap you just on principle.

There are also ways to edit your windows registry if you REALLY want
your "My Documents" or windows equivelant of 'Home' to reside in a
different place.
There are also even easier ways to do this in Linux (Your user's home
directory can reside pretty much anywhere).

Of course if you have some major space constraints and don't want to
repartition your drive into 3 seperate parts, just make Windows use
Fat32 as it's format rather than NTFS.  You won't get a lot of the
security options, but it's windows, 'nuf said.

This will allow you to mount your windows partition in Linux and access
your MP3's, the already installed game of Flightgear and anything else
ya want.

And "Is it wise to try.."?  Wisdom comes from experience.  And a truly
wise person would make a backup of everything before trying anything
like this.
:D

sim