On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Josh Trutwin wrote:
> Yes, I guess that is correct.  I was always under the impression that IMAP
> was a requirement, when I first attempted installing SM about a year ago,
> I was told I had to get IMAP first.  I looked around the SM docs, but
> there isn't too much on using SM with SMTP only.  What do your server
> config options look like when you run conf.pl?

 Oh, I see where we're going with this.  No, IMAP *is* indeed required by
Squirrelmail, it's just not required on the same machine; ergo, an RPM
dependency probably isn't the best idea.  SMTP doesn't provide the same
functionality that IMAP does (mail retrieval).  And to cover another
question, yes, any SMTP daemon should work fine with SM.  The oddball
dependency on /usr/sbin/sendmail (which really shouldn't be required)
isn't too bad, though, in that multiple mail daemons provide that file
(exim & sendmail seem to, postfix doesn't appear to, not sure about qmail
et al).  Worst-case, one could either install the RPM with --nodeps (bad),
or create some RPM that provides /usr/sbin/sendmail (better), and just
point SM at the remote SMTP server.

 My (sanitized) server config:

1.  Domain               : domain.com
2.  IMAP Server          : localhost
3.  IMAP Port            : 143
4.  Use Sendmail/SMTP    : SMTP
6.    SMTP Server        : localhost
7.    SMTP Port          : 25
8.  Server               : cyrus
9.  Invert Time          : false
10. Delimiter            : detect

 I still use the local machine for IMAP & SMTP, but I don't have to; I use
a separate mail server in another instance.

     Jima