You do not need to use root and the root
password to authenticate to the XP box
(even though you must be root (typically)
to mount the smb filesystem). You can use
-U administrator%administratorpassword
or any user that has full network access to
that share.

I think the smb filesystems attributes will
controlled by 'mount' options, not the
permissions on the directory mount point.

I wish I had a XP machine (spit) so I could
tell you exactly what to do, but I do not.

>>> dcoats at heritagemail.org 04/15/03 10:41AM >>>
The adventure continues...

I created a user for root on my XP machine(everyone responds with horror
at
the lack of security - It is in a locked room).

Now as root I can smbmount on to my XP machine.  I can see and access the
files in the mounted directory. And there was much rejoicing!

I can even unmount it without permission problems.

What I still can't do is write to it...I set the permissions for the
directory on the server side to 775.  On the XP side they are set to
Allow
Full Control.

What else might still need to be changed?

Doug