I agree with the article 100%.  The community needs to focus, not scatter.
 Yes, it is like herding cats, but nonetheless, stuff needs to work!
Nobody develops for linux (commercially), becaues it is a nightmare!  At
least on windows, you have a standard development base to build from.

Linux has many advantages, but it would be nice from a development and a
user perspective if the community could agree to some standards, instead
of reinventing the wheel each time around.

Dan