On Friday 04 April 2003 10:06 pm, dare t wrote:
> http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/774/
>
> pretty good read, maybe he is right
	Or maybe's he's just a troll with poorly crafted strawmen for arguments. Does
he defend his assertions? Does he provide some data to back up his points?
Oh, no, he's too busy whipping himself into rightous indignation to bother
with piddly things like that.

> "The plethora of Free Software applications available today, none working
> perfectly, is a problem which stands in the way of major adoption of Linux
> on the desktop. In order to conquer the desktop, we have to stand united. "
	Likewise, the plethora of Windows software, none working perfectly, is
standing in the way of major adoption of Windows. Oh, wait, I guess not.
	The desktop is a high-inertia area, and there are lots of factors (including
MS's illegal monopoly and the near impossibility of getting any other OS,
other than Windows, from a major OEM) involved. A few years ago, there wasn't
enough Free software to conquer the desktop. Now, according to this brilliant
analysis, there's too much. Logically, therefore, we must have hit the sweet
spot of just the right amount of software somewhere along the way. Oh, why
couldn't he have spoken sooner, before we entered the "plethora" zone???
	Furthermore, his scenario is just idle fantasy. Telling the FOSS community
what they should and should not do is like herding cats. Impossible. The
community's strength lies in its ability to go in multiple directions
simultanously. That's how it's been, that's how it's going to be. If this guy
doesn't like it, he can go back to Windows, where everything will be nicely
spoonfed to him.
	Why Freshmeat published this guy (and gave him a t-shirt--geez, I could write
better than that if they offered me a shirt!) is beyond me. Maybe they needed
some page hits for OSDN. Nothing like a troll (and getting posted to /.) to
raise those page hits.
	:Peter
--
Oh what a tangled web they weave who try a new word to conceive!