On Saturday 14 September 2002 02:03 am, Mike Hicks wrote:
> This isn't specifically Linux-related, but here goes..
>
> I just changed over from using a Linksys router/firewall to a shiny new
> (hah) P133 with a few NICs in it, since the Linksys box was hiding some
> things and just not flexible enough to do others.
>
> Anyway, I'm wondering if I should have kept the box, since it was hiding
> something pretty ugly:
>
> [mike at 3po][~]$ traceroute www.csom.umn.edu
> traceroute to liveweb.csom.umn.edu (160.94.119.32), 30 hops max, 40 byte
> packets 1  192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1)  1 ms  1 ms  1 ms

[long traceroute deleted]

> Anyway, I was thinking that 30 hops is pretty bad..  About ten more hops
> than I usually expect.  Looks like if I had gotten one more hop,
> traceroute would have quit!  Just seemed odd to me, I guess..

Yup; it's ugly.  But it's not uncommon.  Back when I was documenting Link
Analyst at Network Instruments -- it's basically a sort of super-ping
combined with a graphic traceroute -- that sort of route was *very* common
for even very close-both-geographically-and-net-topologically links.

--
But it is impossible not to notice that, in some of the poorest parts
of the world, most people, most of the time, appear to be happier than