On Saturday 14 September 2002 02:03 am, Mike Hicks wrote:
> This isn't specifically Linux-related, but here goes..
>
> I just changed over from using a Linksys router/firewall to a shiny new
> (hah) P133 with a few NICs in it, since the Linksys box was hiding some
> things and just not flexible enough to do others.
>
> Anyway, I'm wondering if I should have kept the box, since it was hiding
> something pretty ugly:

If by hiding you mean you couldnt do a traceroute past it, I discovered that
the Linux traceroute by default uses UDP, whereas windows uses ICMP ECHO.
This generally isnt a big deal because routers (and Linux routers) generally
take this just fine.  The Linksys devices block these UDP datagrams for some
reason (security?) so to traceroute out, use the -I option (read the man page
for more info) I have also heard that if you force the UDP port down to port
7 it will work for some linksys devices (depending on revision).

Jay

--
Jay Kline
http://www.slushpupie.com/