On Wed, 2002-01-09 at 17:02, Brian wrote:
> I'm not familiar with the patching procedure on the linux kernel.  Once a
> patch is submitted to LKML, does it get merged into the next release?  For
> instance, do the patches for 2.4.19 that are posted now get merged into
> the 2.4.20 codebase?

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but from what I've heard, Linus
isn't a big fan of pulling patches off of LKML.  He likes patches to be
sent to him directly.  Of course, Linus doesn't handle too much of the
2.4.x series, as far as I know.  Marcelo Tosatti is the person to send
patches to.

However, LKML is a good place to send a patch to get it reviewed before
submitting it directly to one of the kernel maintainers.  In addition,
many driver maintainers would like you to send things directly to them,
rather than getting patches laid on them from on high.  Of course, many
driver maintainers don't have their newest code in the main kernel tree,
so there are cases where it might be necessary to go over their heads..

It seems to me that it's very much like the management of any large
organization...

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   If you're not the solution,
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   you're the precipitate.