On Thursday 05 September 2002 23:05, Bob Tanner wrote:
> Can someone tell me what enterprise resource planning (ERP) software does?
>
> Are there any specific instances of this software for Linux?
>
> I've read 5 articles saying this is where companys are going to send their
> money and I don't even know what it is. :-)

Other replies have touched on this but here's my take after 8+ months of
helping to small mfg companies implement a specific ERP package (I won't name
it because I don't want to be accused of promoting it!)

ERP is a not so new name for Integrated Business Software. Many years ago I
worked for a company that was implementing a product called Cullinet. It was
an ERP system but the term didn't exist. SAP and its R3 product is probably
the genesis of the term and the software "set".

Ryan hit the nail on the head with his reply, most of these packages claim to
improve the operation of the corporation by integrating functions sometimes
allowed to run "independently."   My interaction with the software eluded to
above is in getting data out of the database and presenting it in a manner
people can use. This includes basic report writing (using Crystal Reports)
and some more "inventive" techniques. ;-) (Many of those involve Zope.)

As far as an Open Source ERP project search WyattERP. Its the one specific ERP
project that I know. The Compiere project mentioned earlier was originally
more of a CRM (Customer Relationshop Management) application. CRM apps tend
to be used in pure service businesses and in Call Centers of larger
organizations.

As far as the article goes its a little late. ERP been a "big thing" for at
least 7-8 years. Before the down turn CRM was where everybody was going to
put their money. (All those .coms that where service companies...) At one
point it was estimated that from 1 to 3 Billion (yes with a b) dollars per
year would be spent on CRM systems in the coming years.

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com