On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 11:45:20PM -0500, Chuck Cole wrote:

[snip]

I don't think anyone was claiming that rechargable are best for everything.

> My requirements for batteries for either personal or for professional design
> usage go much beyond what this author has considered.  FYI, I chose a Palm
> IIIxe when color and rechargeables were available in newer models: I get
> full compatibility in B&W, and almost 2 weeks battery life on regular
> Duracells.  The rechargeable B&W Palm compatibles show only about 6 hours of
> operation between recharges, and that's barely enough for a flight to CA
> with a layover.  Rechargeables in a PDA can't be instantly replaced anywhere
> or bought in any airport.  Color models are worse.  Pocket PC models are
> really terrible.  A B&W Palm is a very low power demand on standby and much
> lower than color models when operating.

This is why I have a handspring with a built in lithium ion battery, it runs
for *months* before I finally use up the battery and sit it back on the cradle
to recharge (which takes all of 30 minutes when it's discharged to about 10%)
I don't use it for extended periods of time, but the run-time on the unit even
when it is left on continiously will last about 6-7 hours, it's a snap to
recharge on-the-go by plugging it into a cigarette lighter or wall outlet for
10-20 minutes.

>                                          My digital camera is pretty greedy
> of power, but I like the feature of knowing that a fresh set of throw-aways
> will assure an operating period  while rechargeables may be "tired" due to
> heat or shelf storage and thus may quit prematurely.  I know the
> rechargeables cost more than throw-away Duracells, but I do not know that
> rechargeables can be as good or better for either 1) typical realistic life
> of a spare set, or 2) realistic lifetime cost that includes aging and
> storage effects.  I remain skeptical, but YMMV.  Spare throw-aways assure
> that precious camera shot the author speaks about, but spare rechargeables
> may not.

If you really can't get to a cigarette lighter plug, or a wall outlet, then
sure. go ahead and pick up some disposables, otherwise you're better off
with the good rechargables.