Air travel logistics are the main case that drive me toward throw-aways.
For me, the extra baggage and time for chargers is a nuisance also.  Perhaps
the latest generation of Li ion rechargeables are enough of an improvement
to merit reconsideration.  I can do automobile recharge when on vacation
outings or photo safaris in the boondocks.  I have "airline adapters" but
I've never been on a plane that had the power outlets.  Northworst once told
me that only some planes have the outlets, it's by sheer coincidence,
reservations never knows, and they have no plan to equip more.  I got even
less help from another airline.  Is your experience different?

Chuck